Every year 12,400 children are diagnosed with cancer and 1.1 million children in the U.S. alone are affected by Alopecia. In total, more than 2 million children are affected by hair loss caused by these and other diseases and traumas. If the pain and confusion of the illness, medical procedures, or accident weren’t challenging enough for young individuals, being bald certainly wreaks havoc on their lives. The Wigs for Kids website describes the impact well when they write:
Remember when we were kids? It was a wonderful, but often trying time. The smallest occurrence can derail a child’s self-esteem. As adults, skin thickened by life experiences enables us to deal with criticism of our flaws. Most children haven’t yet cultivated that inner strength. Hair is not just connected to their follicles – it is connected to their well-being.
Wigs for Kids is a non-profit organization that provides, as their name hints, wigs for kids. They hand-tie each human hair wig, a design that is meant to make the piece not only look like the child’s real hair, but also behave like the child’s real hair, allowing the wearer to run, play, dance, and get wet without fear of embarrassment or standing out. Each hair replacement system requires 20-30 ponytails of donated hair and $1800. Even with these demanding requirements though, Wigs for Kids is able to help 125-150 children across the United States each year thanks to donors, volunteers, and partner salons. How can you get involved?
- Learn more about the organization. You can read about it here.
- Share information with children in need regarding the application process for a Wigs for Kids Hair Replacement System. You can get the application and learn more about the requirements here.
- Provide materials requested on the Wigs for Kids Wish List.
- Make a monetary donation or sponsor a child.
- Donate your hair!
- Become a volunteer.
- Get your salon involved through an Ambassador Program, an Affiliate Program, or a Cut-A-Thon. You can read more about the opportunities for salons here.
Already in 2014, New Look Institute has had the opportunity to work with two beautiful girls to get their wig measurements and deliver their hair replacement systems, and it has undoubtedly been a warm, wonderful, and rewarding experience to be involved with.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE: